THERMAL / MOISTURE PROTECTION
- Structural insulated panels (SIPs) at floor and roof reduce energy consumption by 12%-14% for heating and cooling by providing superior insulation compared to standard construction.
- Each structural panel contains airtight, draft-free insulation and moisture barriers.
- SIPs reduce construction waste by arriving at factory precut and ready to install.
- Natural cotton fiber insulation in walls contains 85% post-industrial recycled natural fibers. Insulation contains no chemical irritants and requires no warning labels compared to traditional batt insulation.
- FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified EcoTimber flooring comes from responsibly managed sources
- Cabinet cores fabricated from Medite II MDF fiber board with Green Cross certification for recovered and recycled fiber content, Formaldehyde free polyurethane resin. Plywood casework is Pure Bond by Columbia Forest Products and also uses formaldehyde free polyurethane resin
- Energy Star-rated Bosch kitchen appliances—including gas range or gas cooktop and oven, dishwasher, microwave, and ventilator.
- Energy Star-rated Carrier HVAC system. Gas furnace has AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) rating of 93%, reducing utility usage by 30%.
- “On-demand,” tankless hot water heater conserves up to 20% more energy than heating water in a conventional tank by only heating the hot water needed
- GE washing machine has 3 water levels to minimize water waste. Dryer automatically shuts off when clothes are dry
- Sub Zero refrigerator/freezer has 2 distinct temperature zones and door/drawer alarm, signaling if either is left open.
- Optional upgraded Bosch washing machine and dryer engineered to reduce energy used and emitted water and carbon dioxide waste
INSULATING, UV-PROTECTING GLASS
- Dual-Pane Solarban 60 Low-E Glass (U value: .28) in all windows and doors
- 39% better insulation than standard glass
- Better UV protection than standard glass, allowing only 16% penetration versus 77% for standard
- Floor-to-ceiling windows and doors capture views and natural light
- Optional window shades provide added protection
SOLAR PANELS + OTHER OPTIONS
- Grid-connected solar panels feed excess energy back into the grid by day and draw electricity from the grid by night; power providers are required to purchase extra power through metering agreements.
- Homes painted with non-toxic, low VOC Green Seal paint
- Radiant heating option allows for energy savings by directly heating mass and objects in the home, rather than the air. Occupants are heated directly and are therefore comfortable at lower thermostat settings.
- Additional green options or brand preferences available upon request
- Decks provide shade and reduce solar heat gain
- Wide doors for natural cross ventilation
- Architecture celebrates, rather than competes with, natural environment
- Indoor/outdoor enhancements, such as expansive deck spaces extend indoor living spaces to the outdoors
RECYCLED STEEL FRAME
- Made from recycled steel
- Promises long-term endurance against natural elements, such as termites, and mold; no chemical treatments necessary
MAXIMUM FACTORY BENEFITS
- Minimizes waste due to precise cutting
- Allows for reuse and recycling of excess materials
- Dramatically reduces noise, dust, and damage to existing site landscape and neighborhood
- Centralizes trades, reducing vehicular emissions from travel to construction sites. Recent study found factory workers commute significantly shorter distances than construction workers, who drive up to 100 miles daily to job sites (KieranTimberlake Associates LLP).